“Talk Like a Pirate Day” has been an international tradition now for 26 years. Our next celebration of the event is scheduled for Sunday, September 19, 2021. Are you ready to embrace your inner pirate? We’ve gathered a few materials to maximize your plunderin’.
The not so mysterious origins of a day to talk like a pirate
It took two brave lads to help the world to realize they needed a day to celebrate pirates. Those gentlemen were, Ol’ Chumbucket (John Baur) and Cap’n Slappy (Mark Summers). These pioneering fellows set sail of this epic tradition on September 19, 1995. The early rules were simple. Should you see a friend, you must greet them with a hearty, “Ahoy, maties!” Long live the founders of this grand tradition.
Inspirational and motivational pirate materials
- “Pirattitude!: So you Wannna Be a Pirate?: Here’s How!” by Dave Barry, John Baur, and Mark Summers.
- “The Pirate Dictionary” by Terry Breverton
- “Well Blow Me Down: A Guys Guide to Talking Like a Pirate” by John Baur and Mark Summes
Explore more pirate resources to educate your noggin’
More information about this special day may be found at:
- The Pirate Glossary from Cap’n Evil Stevie
- “Arrrrr! Talk like a pirate — or prepare to be boarded” an informative article from Dave Barry
- Te Olde British “Talk Like A Pirate Day” Headquarters
- The Original Talk Like a Pirate Day Site
- Wikipedia’s Talk Like a Pirate Day