I really love Matthew Kalis’s short documentary about the Los Angeles office of TBWA/Chiat/Day Advertising.
Notes from the documentary
Aside from enjoying a hip/fun soundtrack with tunes from the 1970s to present, in this video you will see and learn about:
- what the Chiat/Day design space in LA looks like — from walking through the entrance tunnel, to the open spaces designed for creativity, community, and collaboration
- background on Jay Chiat and the agency — the decision to “be big” and create a great agency in the late 60s
- a montage of iconic print and video campaigns
- philosophy about creating an environment where creative people could “do it their way”
- thoughts on why Jay Chiat was a leader and initiated change in the advertising industry, how he drove and inspired others to achieve
- how Lee Clow did a year-long campaign (“hire the harry”) in order to convince the Chiat/Day team to let him join — his peers describe Lee as “an advertising legend”
- how Lee understands what creative thinking is, how he pushes for the best
- Apple, Inc.’s 1984 advertisement that introduced the Macintosh, and how the spot helped Chiat/Day to become a force in the advertising industry
- another montage of outstanding campaigns for Porsche, and later Nissan
- inspiration for the Energizer Bunny and how it was turned into an effective advertising campaign
- examples from their big accounts: Taco Bell, Jack in the Box, Reebok
- a tour of “the big grey box” where their offices are located (which looks like a miniature city)
- Omnicom’s purchase of TBWA and Chiat/Day
- The Tequila worldwide network of agencies and interactive work, viral videos, and more around the globe
- “Beyond Disruption” — pioneered by Jean-Marie Dru. Looking at unconventional strategies in order to move faster
- Apple, Inc.’s “Think Different” campaign
- And another montage of cool advertisements for iPod, Playstation, and more
- Closing thoughts from key members of the agency: they started small with a passion for great work, they grew and are now big — but, still have the passion. If you have a great idea — go and do it!
- Lee’s formula for growth and profit: great people, doing great work is how you grow and become profitable, there isn’t any other way.